listening to: orbital :: never/wonky
this is a really simple and healthy dish to make. i was looking around for something different and found this recipe online, but they referred to this as 'torta' which doesn't really make sense as this preparation uses a baguette and the majority of places say that a torta is a circular bread that is not similar to bread. anyhoo, enough of this breadology 101. this recipe takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish and can be used as a simple snack or as part of a meal. this dish can be served warm or cold and i, of course, added in some of my own ingredients to jazz it up.
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/8 cup of salsa
1 serrano pepper, diced
i tsp of ground cumin
1/4 cup of minced cilantro
3 gloves of garlic, minced
1/4 small onion, diced
1 avocado, pitted
1 lime, cut in half and juiced
1 baguette, cut in quarters
2 cups of shredded cabbage
- first, canned black beans contain a lot of sodium, so to reduce this, run the beans under water.
- in a medium size bowl, mash the black beans, salsa, pepper, cumin and garlic together.
- in a separate bowl, mash the avocado, lime juice, cilantro and onion together.
- remove the soft bread from the bread pieces.
- if you choose, you can warm up the black bean mixture or you can spread it directly on one side of the bread. spread the guacamole mixture on the other side.
- lay some of the shredded cabbage on top and put the sandwich together and enjoy.
the ingredients in the recipe are enough for 4 sandwiches.