listening to: high on fire :: serums of liao/fertile green
happy 2012! i just noticed that that's what i lead off my last posting with, so i guess i'm doing better than last year! i finally feel comfortable posting this dish which i've been working on in some form or another for the past few months. for all of you who keep asking for some indian recipes, i'm obliging once again and i'll say that this is the first of many that will be appearing here, cause i finally feel comfortable cooking my heritage food. this is a simple healthy dish and is full on vegetarian, which is pretty standard for the majority of dishes from my parent's home state.
3 tbsp canola oil
2 pinches of asafoetida
1 pinch of mustard seeds
1 pinch of cumin seeds
1 small onion, diced
2 thai chilis, sliced
1/2 tsp of ginger paste
2 tsps of ground coriander
1/2 tsp of chili powder
2 pinches of paprika
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp of garam masala
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/2 tsp of garlic paste
salt (seasoned to taste)
- in large pot, heat 3 tbsp of canola oil on medium-high. add in mustard and cumin seed and asafoetida and heat until seeds begin to pop.
- stir in onion and heat until slightly brown.
- reduce heat to medium and add in thai chilis and ginger paste and fry for 1 minute.
- add in paprika, turmeric, garam masala, chili powder, cayenne pepper and ground coriander and stir till you can smell the aroma.
- add in potatoes, stir and then cover for 5-10 minutes.
- add in cauliflower and salt and cover for another 15 minutes.
- continue to stir until slightly brown and potatoes and cauliflower is tender.
serve with rice and naan or tortilla.